Rancho Palos Verdes translates to “Ranch of Green Sticks” which probably refers to the willows that used to grow in this area as shown on earlier maps.
The current city of Rancho Palos Verdes was founded on the principle of maintaining a low density of development to preserve as much of the beautiful open space which made the area such a unique community.
The city is the largest community (13.5 sq miles) on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and includes numerous equestrian areas. Its stunning 7.5 miles of coastline is well known for unique quiet coves and beaches protected by steep cliffs. Some of the undeveloped acreage along the coast is still devoted to light agriculture and flower cultivation.
- Rancho Palos Verdes is bordered by the Pacific Ocean, Palos Verdes Estates, Torrance, Rolling Hills Estates and San Pedro
- Palos Verdes Drive East (167): Many of the homes here have large lots bordering steep terrains with beautiful city and harbor views.
- Mira Catalina (168): Many homes in this area enjoy spectacular views of the ocean and Catalina Island.
- Palos Verdes Drive South (169): Stretching along the coastline, many of the homes in this area offer excellent ocean and Catalina views. This area includes several condominium and townhouse complexes.
- West Palos Verdes (170): Also directly along the coastline, this area has recently been updated with luxury home developments. There are no condominiums in this area.
- Country Club (171): This area mostly surrounds the Los Verdes Golf Course and include a handful of condominiums and townhomes.
- La Cresta (172): Many of the homes in this area are in pre-planned developments, with several gated communities.
- Los Verdes (173): This neighborhood is mostly single family residences along the west side of the Palos Verdes Peninsula with stretching views.
- Crest (174): About 20% of this area is located in the city of Rolling Hills Estates. This area has the highest concentration of multi-family units on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
- Peninsula Center (175): This area is known as the shopping area of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, with The Promenade, an open-air mall with restaurants, shops, skating rink, movie theatre, as well as a couple of other shopping centers.
- Silver Spur (176): This area is located near the excellent rated Peninsula High School and close to the above described commercial center of the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
- Eastview (177): Similar to Palos Verdes Drive East (area 167) some of the homes in this area have beautiful harbor views.