Rolling Hills is a community with a high level of environmental awareness, dedicated to preserving precious open space, public trails and native habitat. It strives to maintain a fairly refined provincial character within its borders. One of the most distinctive attributes seen throughout the city is the 25 miles of horse trails marked by its distinctive white fences.
- Rolling Hills Estates is bordered by Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills and Torrance. Except for property area 165, all of its property areas are shared with Rancho Palos Verdes.
- Palos Verdes Drive North (165): Many of the homes in this area are zoned for horses, have larger lots and are connected to the extensive intertwining horse trails.
- La Cresta (172): Many of the homes in this area are in pre-planned developments, with several gated communities.
- Crest (174): About 20% of this area is in the city of Rolling Hills Estates. This area has the highest concentration of multi-family units on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
- Peninsula Center (175): This area is known as the shopping area of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, with The Promenade, an open-air mall with restaurants, shops, skating rink, movie theatre, as well as a couple of other shopping centers.
- Silver Spur (176): This area is located near the excellent rated Peninsula High School and close to the above described commercial center of the Palos Verdes Peninsula.