The city of Rolling Hills is a gated residential community designed to preserve an equestrian lifestyle. Most of the sprawling luxurious ranch style homes were designed and built to accommodate the boarding of horses. Since its incorporation in 1957 the city has created and maintained an extensive 30-mile system of riding trails that wind through the community.
The first gate house was constructed in 1935 just off Palos Verdes Drive North.
To this day, the vision of the original founding family’s vision has been maintained with no traffic lights, large spaces between houses and wide equestrian paths along streets.
- The city borders Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes
PROPERTY AREA 166
- Zoned for residential use only
- Total of 3 square miles (1,920 acres) and 685 residences
- 15 undeveloped lots remain available (as of June 2106).
- Lot sizes are 1 acre minimum, with an average lot size of 2.7 acres.
- Many of the city’s residents have stables and corral facilities
- The weather tends to be somewhat warmer than the western side of the peninsula and receives less fog